1993-11-08 - Article in biz.clarinet.sample

Header Data

From: Lyle_Seaman@transarc.com
To: outnews+netnews.talk.politics.crypto@andrew.cmu.edu>
Message Hash: 53098149514e29fcaf151679c35e94d8b81fae2308aefe2dffea035629db1bec
Message ID: <cgrZHQ2SMUw886ToN2@transarc.com>
Reply To: <biz-computerUR971_3N1@clarinet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-08 14:23:00 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 8 Nov 93 06:23:00 PST

Raw message

From: Lyle_Seaman@transarc.com
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 93 06:23:00 PST
To: outnews+netnews.talk.politics.crypto@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Article in biz.clarinet.sample

I don't know whether forwarding Clari articles posted to ...sample is
permitted or not, so I am posting just a pointer.   Trot on over to
biz.clarinet.sample, and check out this article:

> Subject: Software you can buy but can't sell
> Date: Sat, 6 Nov 93 18:08:02 PST

>	In mid-October, the House Subcommittee on Economic Policy, Trade and
> Environment began a round of hearings on legislation to reauthorize the
> Export Administration Act, which sets export control policy for the
> United States.

There's not a lot of information, but it's a favorable article.

Peeve:  I wish tech editors wouldn't insist on spelling out acronyms
that nobody ever (ever! Well, except tech writers/editors) uses in
their spelled out form.  If they must spell them out, do it in parens,
and bury it.  I *hate* having to try to figure out what "the
Transmission Control Protocol / Internet Protocol suite" is (eg).

>	It wasn't that Iraq's dictator had hired the world's best technical
> wizards to work for him. It was because the technical minds which were
> already in Iraq recognized the fact that standard Internet Protocol
> routers were designed well. Knock one out and another takes over,
> invisibly. The computer network keeps running.

Thread