1993-11-04 - ViaCrypt PGP has arrived

Header Data

From: jim@bilbo.suite.com (Jim Miller)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 560888ed9f32a51a55c818042671776e963830a39c7bce7f770cabcf2b8cc57b
Message ID: <9311042344.AA04365@bilbo.suite.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Nov 93 15:47:40 PST

Raw message

From: jim@bilbo.suite.com (Jim Miller)
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 93 15:47:40 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: ViaCrypt PGP has arrived

My copy of ViaCrypt PGP arrived yesterday (Nov 3).  Since I worked late, I
haven't had a chance to play with it yet.  I looked through the manual.  The
commands look similar (if not identical) to "classic" PGP's, as far as I could
tell at a glance.

The bulk of the text for the manual was taken from the documentation that comes
with PGP, except all occurances of "PGP" where replaced with "ViaCrypt PGP".

The box looks pretty good. :-)  Looks like they hired a real graphics designer.

I suppose some of you are wondering why I'd fork over 100 bucks for something I
could get for free.  First of all, I can afford it.  Second of all, I simply
feel more comfortable using a licensed shinkwrapped software product than a
quasi-legal freeware one.  Call me a coward.

I realize that by not compiling the code myself on my own machine I basically
have to trust the ViaCrypt PGP implementation.  So be it.  If there is
something wrong with ViaCrypt PGP I believe it will eventually be discovered.
Somebody will no doubt disassemble it and look for backdoors.  If someone finds
one, ViaCrypt's reputation will be worthless.  It's in ViaCrypts best interest
not to put in any backdoors.

Jim_"Rebel without a spine"_Miller@suite.com

Thread