1993-11-20 - “True Identities”

Header Data

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5a69bf11bb7fa02e27860a1b390bcd9bca1c2fe0a52f592bcee4383ef6710dbd
Message ID: <8gvaF9C00Vpg1J70VB@andrew.cmu.edu>
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Nov 93 10:42:09 PST

Raw message

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 93 10:42:09 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: "True Identities"

I find it particularily interesting that on the internet (in contrast to
almost every other net in existance), people have this strange fettish
for worrying about anonymnity and "true names".  My question is why?
People on other nets never give the using of a handle or nym a second
thought.  (By other nets I mean Fidonet, WWIVnet, TEAMnet, C-Link,
Oggnet, fvnet etc)  A name is just a way of identifying a paritcular
person.  I don't see why people are so opposed to the use of nyms like
Wonderer or Black Unicorn because those don't fit your image of what a
name should be.  These names identify the senders in a manner that is
adequate to the discussion on Cypherpunks.  Would it be any better if
these people used names like Mike or John or something?  Would it really
make any relevant difference to the discussion on cypherpunks?

Thread