1993-11-15 - True Name Keyservers

Header Data

From: Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5ba5d8a71b0a9e4f64ba36c62a0ef711b3b9862c0e3a555078f84fef3f447dcf
Message ID: <01H5BMFCSV829D59GI@delphi.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 14 Nov 93 20:00:16 PST

Raw message

From: Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 93 20:00:16 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: True Name Keyservers

>"ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu"  "L. Detweiler" wrote:
>Subject: Key Servers

>I wonder if anyone would want to start a PGP key server dedicated only
>to *real* identities. Obviously, there is no such demand with the current
>ones.

>And please don't start with the `that would be impossible' arguments. A
>key server that had the official policy `if you register here, on your
>honor your legal name is what you give, under penalty of public
>exposure if you are caught' would be enough for me.

That might be somewhat effective if there was a way to expose the
person's True Name if they were caught using a nym. If the only thing
to be exposed was the falsity of the nym, the person could just create
a new nym, with no penalty for lying except a bit of inconvenience.

Another approach would be to have some people who certify keys as
being True Name keys, using special signer keys which are labeled
"True Name certifier key" or something similar. These certifiers
would be risking their own credibility if they were tricked, so
they would have a motive to be careful. If this was a for-profit
undertaking (i.e. "send me ten bucks and a copy of your birth
certificate, driver's license, and a third form of ID") then it could
be fairly effective. Any of you capitalists out there...?

Somewhere I read about "is-a-person" certificates, which, if I remember
correctly, allow you to prove your identity is unique without giving out
your True Name. How do these work? Is this a blind signature of your key?

Whatever is done involving True Names, nyms should have a right to
exist as well.

--- MikeIngle@delphi.com

Thread