1993-11-12 - Re: Bandwidth limitations

Header Data

From: Clark Reynard <clark@metal.psu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 688565fe7f520be61527a6a519fc69d5f827bb70ef41f0afb4d83d30e450e3c6
Message ID: <9311121723.AA16930@metal.psu.edu>
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 09:14:48 PST

Raw message

From: Clark Reynard <clark@metal.psu.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 09:14:48 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Bandwidth limitations

Perry writes:

[Elegant refutation of all examples I give in original article.]

Point taken.

Obviously, I took a few elementary examples, which are quite
achievable even today.

Perhaps some true bandwidth stretchers:

Complete maps of all the known universe, with spectrographic assays,
gravitational information, particle densities, motion/vector analysis
of areas of high matter concentration, spin and orbital velocity
graphs, etc. being zipped back and forth between relay satellites,
earthbound observatories, and individuals needing such information.

Complete records of all genomes of all humans born after this
becomes standard.  Copyright information, and rights transfers
for all living humans; what portions of the genome are for
sale, or if replication is prohibited.

Perhaps black market genes will be hid, steganographically,
in horrendously large files which appear to be garden
variety vr porn.

Voiceprints and retina scans for all living and dead human
beings.

Increasingly-detailed weather maps, down to the molecular level.

Of course, what actually will happen will probably be stranger.

When we had parchment, we had very narrow bandwidth, with
very little to transmit..

Today, we have wide bandwidth, but a lot more ways to use it.
I'm sure someone will find a way to use vast chunks of
it; until we need come to a new standard.
----
Robert W. F. Clark                      PGP Key Available Upon Request
rclark@nyx.cs.du.edu
clark@metal.psu.edu

Thread