1993-11-23 - Secure Drive Copyleft / Export Problem

Header Data

From: Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 704f1c7581b0d01368fa4d15585dfef3436649762972b02d14a115ee9a59d644
Message ID: <01H5MYABH5SW90OJ8M@delphi.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Nov 93 22:58:06 PST

Raw message

From: Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 93 22:58:06 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Secure Drive Copyleft / Export Problem

Since kpj@sics.se saw fit to cc his request to the list and start this
controversy, I'll forward my response to the list as well. If I get
harassed by the FSF, I'll have to stop distributing and count on the
connectivity of the net to keep it alive. Aarrggh, this does not
encourage a person to write more code...

>I wonder if you really can have a Copyleft and disallow the program source
>to anybody outside the United States and Canada.  As you write the code is
>under Copyleft, I hereby ask you for a copy of it.  FYI: I am situated in
>the state of Sweden in Europe.  What is your reply to this?

I would like to send you a copy. It is illegal for me to do so.
The copyleft is not on my code; it's on the IDEA algorithm I used.
The U.S. government has prosecuted people for sending crypto out
of the country. PGP is copylefted, yet Phil Zimmerman refuses to
export or distribute the program himself for similar reasons,
even though he holds the copyright. I'm trying to do something
in the spirit of PGP here; please don't put me in a bind. I'm
worried enough about getting into trouble; I assume you've read
about the Phil Zimmermann subpeonas. I don't like export controls
any more than you do, but there's nothing I can do about them.

---- MikeIngle@delphi.com

From the PGP 1.0 manual:

All the source code for PGP is available for free under the "Copyleft"
General Public License from the Free Software Foundation (FSF).  A
copy of the FSF General Public License is included in the source
release package of PGP.

Export Controls
---------------

The Government has made it illegal in many cases to export good
cryptographic technology, and that may include PGP.  This is
determined by volatile State Department policies, not fixed laws.
Many foreign governments impose serious penalties on anyone inside
their country using encrypted communications.  In some countries they
might even shoot you for that.  I will not export this software in
cases when it is illegal to do so under US State Department policies,
and I assume no responsibility for other people exporting it without
my permission.

Thread