1993-11-09 - Re: TEMPEST, Van Eyck Radiation, and Eavesdropping

Header Data

From: rustman@netcom.com (Rusty Hodge)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 73a5919f858592cc830108438b1f519e8fc147fb2659a52329895de2f605aafa
Message ID: <199311090703.XAA25150@mail.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 8 Nov 93 23:03:11 PST

Raw message

From: rustman@netcom.com (Rusty Hodge)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 93 23:03:11 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: TEMPEST, Van Eyck Radiation, and Eavesdropping

As FCC regulations become tighter, the issue of Van Eyck Radiation
will go down some.  In 1974, when we had a Motorola Exorbus 6800
development system; the neighbors could tell what we were doing on it
by the RFI to their TV sets.  My 1993 Quadra doesn't even totally
wipe out a receiver sitting next to it.

> First of all Van Eck Monitor Eavesdropping seems to be a deeply
shrouded
> subject even for most engineers and for most c-punks.
>
> Its basically a system for reconstruction of the sync signal for
> monitor radiation received with a standard tuning mechanism...

More reason to use a LCD panel or EL display.  None of this messy
sync radiation.

> And protecting against Van Eck can be extensive as a faraday cage or
> a subtle as conductive Wallpaper. floors, doors and windows...

If you can still receive the AM broadcast band inside your conductive
wallpapered room, I would not feel comfortable about attenuation
being provided. ;->

--
Rusty H. Hodge  <rustman@netcom.com>  A+Plus Technology & Design (714) 639-4949
1407 North Batavia Street, Suite 107, Orange, CA 92667       FAX (714) 639-3311

Thread