1993-11-29 - Re: newsgroup v news-list

Header Data

From: John Schultz <jschultz@bigcat.missouri.edu>
To: Jim choate <ravage@wixer.bga.com>
Message Hash: 7e43a99088769415d26efa74a64125652eedd4ef5266dc43e682af3642d0cee7
Message ID: <Pine.3.07.9311282309.A29867-a100000@bigcat>
Reply To: <9311281511.AA10617@wixer>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-29 05:29:41 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Nov 93 21:29:41 PST

Raw message

From: John Schultz <jschultz@bigcat.missouri.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 93 21:29:41 PST
To: Jim choate <ravage@wixer.bga.com>
Subject: Re: newsgroup v news-list

On Sun, 28 Nov 1993, Jim choate wrote:
> Why should how long I have been on the list have anything to do with what I
> can contribute?
>
> Why should I wait a month to figure it out experimentaly when I can ask a
> couple of questions now, race up the learning curve, and move on to othe
> more important agendas.
<snip>
> I personaly find the idea that a person has to 'earn' the right to make a
> statement on a mail-list or newsgroup as counter-free speech. I oppose your
> view.

It's general netiquette to hang around for a couple weeks on a list to see
how it operates, what topics are covered, etc. before jumping in with both
feet.

John Schultz
jschultz@bigcat.missouri.edu

Thread