1993-11-30 - Re: Cryptosplit 2.0

Header Data

From: jim@bilbo.suite.com (Jim Miller)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 878f41628b0c0fd58d27060331892de029542a06465320d70f7cae8516cfeb7f
Message ID: <9311300356.AA15067@bilbo.suite.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 29 Nov 93 20:02:06 PST

Raw message

From: jim@bilbo.suite.com (Jim Miller)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 93 20:02:06 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Cryptosplit 2.0

>If I remember coorectly it's KerberosV uses an MD5 hash of /dev/mem.

I'm pretty familiar with the most recent iteration of Kerberos V
(pre-release beta 3).  There is no mention of /dev/mem in any of the
Kerberos V source code files.

As best as I can tell,  all DES keys and random numbers used by Kerberos
are ultimately derived from pass-phrases.

The random DES keys produced by the Kerberos administration utilities are
derived from the KDC master key and some other info (not /dev/mem).  The
KDC master key is derived from a pass-phrase.

All random numbers used inside the Kerberos runtime library are derived
from the user's or server's secret DES key.  A user's secret key is
derived from the user's pass-phase.  A server's secret key is derived from
a pass-phrase or generated automagically by the Kerberos administration
utilities mention above.

(all this is assuming you are using the DES encryption option)

Jim_Miller@suite.com

Thread