1993-11-15 - Re: True Name keys

Header Data

From: J. Michael Diehl <mdiehl@triton.unm.edu>
To: MIKEINGLE@delphi.com (Mike Ingle)
Message Hash: 92924d31efb40925e6156cee1c1492095e8fc15d10b3e5c8288cec6823f1faa7
Message ID: <9311150624.AA01761@triton.unm.edu>
Reply To: <01H5BPPICLNM9EEVDF@delphi.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-15 06:25:18 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 14 Nov 93 22:25:18 PST

Raw message

From: J. Michael Diehl <mdiehl@triton.unm.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 93 22:25:18 PST
To: MIKEINGLE@delphi.com (Mike Ingle)
Subject: Re: True Name keys

According to Mike Ingle:

> JMDiehl: your service would be more widely trusted, and potentially
> profitable, if you bought a copy of ViaCrypt PGP for legality and
> charged a small fee for your services. If there is money and your
> reputation at stake, people will assume you are going to be more
> careful in checking keys, and they will trust your service more.
> You don't want any kind of automation; you want to verify each one
> before signing it.

I wouldn't want to charge for these services since that would introduce a
conflict of interest, profit.  I want to be trusted based on my stated policy.
The suggestion of purchasing a ViaCrypt copy of pgp is valid.

As for automation, it would not be all that "automatic."  It would simply
comprise tools to issue "Certificates" so that people can show other people to
indicate that my signature on their key is trustworthy.

Comments are welcome.

J. Michael Diehl   ;^)  |*The 2nd Amendment is there in case the
mdiehl@triton.unm.edu   | Government forgets about the 1st!  <RL>
Mike.Diehl@f29.n301.z1  |*God is a good Physicist, and an even
    .fidonet.org        | better Mathematician.  <Me>
al945@cwns9.ins.cwru.edu|*I'm just looking for the opportunity to
 (505) 299-2282 (voice) | be Politically Incorrect! <Me>
Can we impeach him yet? |*Protected by 18 USC 2511 and 18 USC 2703.

Thread