1993-11-26 - Re: Comments on NSA (was: “Pyrrhus Cracks RSA?”)

Header Data

From: cman@caffeine.io.com (Douglas Barnes)
To: an52436@anon.penet.fi
Message Hash: 9c5e7434cbae6dc2c9ad8ba171959d57a0643d2956d2fe16b4d52209c4378471
Message ID: <199311262246.QAA22199@caffeine.caffeine.io.com>
Reply To: <9311262038.AA27804@anon.penet.fi>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-26 23:03:56 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Nov 93 15:03:56 PST

Raw message

From: cman@caffeine.io.com (Douglas Barnes)
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 93 15:03:56 PST
To: an52436@anon.penet.fi
Subject: Re: Comments on NSA (was: "Pyrrhus Cracks RSA?")

> Well, doesn't it make some sense given the utility of prime numbers in
> cryptography, that the NSA, or anyone else interested in breaking codes for that
> matter, would have simply dedicated a computer or two to the long-term project
> of determining all of the prime numbers under x bits long?  Granted this would
> take a while, but the NSA has the time, the computers, and the other resources
> necessary to do this.  Having all of these prime numbers would greatly reduce
> the effort necessary to crack PGP/RSA-type cryptosystems which rely on prime
> numbers.  It would reduce the number of factors a brute-force attack would
> have to check dramatically.  Or am I completely off-base?
>

> 					Mephisto

Quoting from the FAQ (Bruce Schneier's "Applied Cryptography") pp. 213:

   1. If everyone needs prime numbers, won't we run out? No, Santa would
      never run out of prime numbers for all the good little boys and
      girls. In fact, there are over 10^150 primes of length 512 bits or
      less. (For numbers of size N, the probability that a random number
      is prime is one in log N.) There are only 10^84 atoms in the universe.
      [...]

Go directly to your bookstore, do not pass GO, do not collect $200 (you
only need about $50, including tax) and buy this book.

--
Douglas Barnes            cman@illuminati.io.com            /  \

Thread