1993-11-15 - Re: LAW: Wireless interception

Header Data

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
To: karn@qualcomm.com (Phil Karn)
Message Hash: a299c58f910daab9c2750648272bb234f485eeb04ddeea24a90ed7ff30383902
Message ID: <199311150514.AA29541@eff.org>
Reply To: <9311130316.AA00717@servo>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-15 05:15:18 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 14 Nov 93 21:15:18 PST

Raw message

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@eff.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 93 21:15:18 PST
To: karn@qualcomm.com (Phil Karn)
Subject: Re: LAW: Wireless interception

Phil Karn writes:

> Cellular is protected under ECPA because it's big bucks for some
> powerful US businesses. Cordless phones don't use a large domestic
> infrastructure that charges for airtime.

Without disputing anything Phil says here, I have it on good authority
that the exemption of cordless phones from ECPA had to do with the fact
that early models of cordless phones often generated signals that could
be picked up by normal radios. The concern was that the owners of normal
radios (as distinct from scanners) might be turned into felons for
overhearing a cordless-phone conversation.

--Mike

Thread