1993-11-30 - democracy and L. Detweiler

Header Data

From: baumbach@atmel.com (Peter Baumbach)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a477b226bdcefcf2cff68f58549f25181e18dfab0193ecb5e078076f81e1d29c
Message ID: <9311301915.AA24188@eel.chp.atmel.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Nov 93 11:52:13 PST

Raw message

From: baumbach@atmel.com (Peter Baumbach)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 93 11:52:13 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: democracy and L. Detweiler

L. Detweiler is a champion of democracy.  He has argued strongly
for it here on this forum.  I am not a supporter of democracy.
A crowd of people has no greater rights than one person.  L. Detweiler
disagrees with this.  I shall confront this disagreement with an
example that strikes to its core.

 I propose a vote.  This vote will have no time limit.  If at any
point you wish to change your vote you are free do so.  This vote
is non-binding on those who do not support democracy.  This vote
will be conducted publicly on this list.

                    [I support]/[I Do not support]

L. Detweiler will be the only judge of the results of this vote.  If
he believes a majority of unique individuals carry this proposal one
way or another, then by his honor and support for democracy he is
bound by it.  If he recants his support for democracy, then he is not
bound by it.

I shall cast my vote here:  I support Proposition desist.

Peter Baumbach
baumbach@atmel.com

Thread