1993-11-09 - No Subject

Header Data

From: nobody@shell.portal.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b1babe5fd549411f0ef993c0cfff1ee8d4bdb84564c6b26ab710904ed202262e
Message ID: <9311090903.AA10563@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 01:03:32 PST

Raw message

From: nobody@shell.portal.com
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 01:03:32 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: No Subject

Re the Phiber Optik case. I understand that only vanilla, split-band
modems (1200, 2400 baud) were tapped, on the analog loop. They were,
and still are, common in the mundane telco world.  Throw a bandpass
filter on the upper half of the audio band, get the answer data. Throw
a filter on the lower half, get the originate data. Much MUCH easier
than tapping modern full-duplex full-band modems with echo
cancellation and compression. I know some of the datacops involved,
and I seriously doubt they have a clue about how to handle V.32
without help from the NSA, which DOES know how to intercept them.

Of course, even if the modems had NSA-proof encryption built in, the
victim could always intercept the decrypted data on the DTE
connector...  cracking is and will remain a risky and stupid thing to
do...

Thread