1993-11-08 - Re: Private and Public

Header Data

From: cman@IO.COM (Douglas Barnes)
To: arthurc@crl.com (Arthur Chandler)
Message Hash: b41a11f61dc99af99b5bddd6aac55239147299791efd6103677d4d05a9f9422c
Message ID: <9311081822.AA15679@illuminati.IO.COM>
Reply To: <Pine.3.87.9311080920.A8020-0100000@crl.crl.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-08 18:28:23 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 8 Nov 93 10:28:23 PST

Raw message

From: cman@IO.COM (Douglas Barnes)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 93 10:28:23 PST
To: arthurc@crl.com (Arthur Chandler)
Subject: Re: Private and Public

>   This may or may not be Big Brother. But it does seem to be the modus
> operandi of every government that ever was.

Alas for the large nation-states, this is not the case. There are many
small governments that don't have this notion, and in exchange for various
considerations (primarily patronizing the financial services of their
country), are more than willing to pay little or no attention to issues
of how much money one makes, or where the it came from.

The boon of secure, anonymous digital transactions is that it's not real
clear exactly *where* they happen, and if the digital money to real world
money interface takes place in one of these financial ports of convenience,
it bodes ill for the taxability of these transactions.

While I believe that it is A Good Thing, I also agree with you that the
nation-states will not go down without a pretty good fight, and that this
will have the effect in the near term of limiting the extent of this
practice. Others believe that existing governments are sufficiently rotten
and spent that they will just keel over under the weight of these activities;
I'm not so sure.

--
Douglas Barnes            cman@illuminati.io.com            /  \

Thread