1993-11-01 - Re: Anonymous vs false IDs

Header Data

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b94c9238eb4fc4bd66a4d6811255cdc1b26dabea6195f65c87aa1f71cf683cba
Message ID: <UgpMbJO00VomMPJkcJ@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <9311012116.AA21226@disvnm2.lehman.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-01 22:14:51 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 1 Nov 93 14:14:51 PST

Raw message

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 93 14:14:51 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Anonymous vs false IDs

David Mandl <dmandl@lehman.com> wrote:

> If you use five different identities, why waste your money paying for
> five accounts, especially if some of them are used only infrequently?
>
> Why have a full UNIX account (like my account on PANIX, say) for
> an identity that won't need to do anything but send out a couple of
> email messages now and then?

Perhaps it would be better to set up a remailer where people could
create a pseudonymous accounts on it.  If the remailer didn't have an
obvious "anon" name, most people probably wouldn't realize that it was a
remailer, and might think that it was a real site with real users.

Thread