1993-11-12 - Re: (fwd) Netcom adds access in Denver area

Header Data

From: hfinney@shell.portal.com (Hal Finney)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d7417c755a7f406a6c2fecaf8875ae05419b209a6e9ae8387368518c8e397e07
Message ID: <9311121654.AA07885@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 08:54:48 PST

Raw message

From: hfinney@shell.portal.com (Hal Finney)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 08:54:48 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: (fwd) Netcom adds access in Denver area

Unfortunately, netcom's nearest point-of-presence is a $.10/minute nighttime
long distance call away from me.  So this "free" service would cost me about
$6/hour.  There are several services which provide access via packet-switching
networks which have hundreds of POP's, including some local to me.  Two of
these networks are Sprintnet and Compuserve's network (which is separate from
the Compuserve service itself).  These networks charge $2-$3/hour off-prime,
so they are a better deal.  But the carrying capacity of these networks seems
somewhat limited, and you don't get the full throughput of your baud rate.

There are resources available on the net, the "pdial" and "nixpub" lists,
which provide lists of service providers for Internet access.  I don't have
access information handy....  Well, I just grabbed some info.  Here
is an excerpt from alt.internet.services FAQ:

> *** 3.1: WHERE CAN I GET INTERNET ACCESS IN MY AREA?
> Check out PDIAL, a list of public access service providers offering
> dialup access to Internet connections. PDIAL lists both free and pay
> services all around the world. The PDIAL list is posted semi-regularly
> to alt.internet.access.wanted, alt.bbs.lists, ba.internet, and
> news.answers.
>
> To receive PDIAL via e-mail, send mail with a subject line of
> "Send PDIAL" to "info-deli-server@netcom.com". To receive future
> editions as they are published, send email with the subject
> "Subscribe PDIAL" to the same address. The most recent PDIAL is also
> available by sending mail with a message body of
> "send usenet/news.answers/pdial" to "mail-server@rtfm.mit.edu". To get
> PDIAL via FTP:
> ftp.netcom.com:/pub/info-deli/public-access/pdial
> rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/alt.internet.access.wanted/P_D_I_A_L_(P)
>
> For more information about service providers and getting on the
> Internet, read "FYI: Searching for Treasure" (FTP info at the end of
> this document.)
>
> Another list of service providers, and tips on getting Internet access,
> is provided in the "alt.bbs.internet" FAQ, available via FTP as
> rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/news.answers/inet-bbs-faq.Z
>
> Access provider information from the book "Internet: Getting Started,"
> (detailed in the final section of this document) is available via
> anonymous FTP as
> ftp.nisc.sri.com:/netinfo/internet-access-providers-us.txt
> ftp.nisc.sri.com:/netinfo/internet-access-providers-non-us.txt
>
> If you are a college student or faculty, check with your campus computer
> center to learn about the online facilities available to you. Many
> schools offer free accounts to students and staff.
>
> Next, turn to the Usenet community for assistance. Find out if there is
> a local newsgroup for your area or state. For instance, Columbus, Ohio
> users can check on the "oh.general" and "cmh.general" newsgroups. Many
> other areas have regional newsgroups. Ask the locals questions about the
> area - who better to know the answers?
>
> If all else fails, post your plea on the Usenet newsgroup
> "alt.internet.access.wanted". Note that such requests aren't looked
> kindly upon if posted elsewhere.
>
> *** 3.2: I NEED A BBS (ON THE INTERNET OR IN MY AREA)!
> This is covered extensively in the "alt.bbs.internet" FAQ, available on
> the Usenet group "alt.bbs.internet" or via FTP as
> rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/news.answers/inet-bbs-faq.Z
>
> Also look for information on the Usenet newsgroups
> "alt.internet.access.wanted" and "alt.internet.services". Get the PDIAL
> list, mentioned at the end of this document.
>
> Also available is NIXPUB, a listing of over 100 free and pay-for-play
> accessible systems. It is posted regularly to the Usenet newsgroups
> "comp.misc", "comp.bbs.misc", and "alt.bbs". Retrieval information near
> the end of this document.

> [...]
I check these lists every so often, hoping to find cheaper access, but
still no luck.

But I agree with Graham Toal that a much better setup would be smarter
software on my home PC, with an intelligent protocol for communication with
the net service provider.  I wouldn't care if it was UUCP, POP, SLIP, or
whatever, at this point; it's probably better than semi-automated ZMODEM.
I hope that these facilities become more widely available at a price of
around $20-$30 a month or less.  Paying hundreds of dollars a month for
these capabilities is far beyond my budget.  I can't understand why England
is so far ahead of the U.S. in this regard.  No offense intended, but I
always thought of their telecommunications and computing infrastructure as
being several years behind the U.S.

Hal

Thread