1993-11-15 - Re: Destroying data

Header Data

From: Jef Poskanzer <jef@ee.lbl.gov>
To: nfe@freedom.nmsu.edu
Message Hash: d8f34c835f119b8f3d68badc92c251638adf311d8710dc09722cd99bbd9c2e6b
Message ID: <9311151537.AA19352@ace.ee.lbl.gov>
Raw Date: Mon, 15 Nov 93 07:40:30 PST

Raw message

From: Jef Poskanzer <jef@ee.lbl.gov>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 93 07:40:30 PST
To: nfe@freedom.nmsu.edu
Subject: Re: Destroying data

>1) Thermite is extreamly hard to ignite, so requires an igniter. Most
>  home made igniters are extreamly unstable (do you really want the thing
>  off accidently (bump it, static charge, RF energy, etc)?

KNO3+sugar works fine.

>2) 50:50 mix of AL and iron oxide will probably work, but best to look up
>  a really ballenced % for the best mix. btw: was that by volume or
>  weight?, there is a slight difference :)

By weight.

>3) in general, the finer the powder, the better. ball mill it if you can.

The iron oxide you get from ceramics supply places is plenty fine enough.
DO NOT ball mill the aluminum, it can explode.  If you're not a minor, chem
supply places should be willing to sell you 200-mesh Al, which works fine.

>7) don't tamp it! - it needs that O2 between the flakes of powder.

Not as far as I know.

Personally I'd rather use some sort of cryptographic file system,
with the key stored in volatile memory.  Connect the power switch
to your perimeter sensors and you're safe.  Thermite sounds macho
but the reality is messy and dangerous.  Do you really want to
risk a false alarm?
---
Jef

Thread