1993-11-08 - Re: ID of anonymous posters via word analysis?

Header Data

From: doug@netcom.com (Doug Merritt)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dd5fc163dd4e98107d8d4383e423c9230aa11f91149d9621f2dfe2fa96a7ff97
Message ID: <199311081729.JAA16934@mail.netcom.com>
Reply To: <pmetzger@lehman.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-11-08 17:33:00 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 8 Nov 93 09:33:00 PST

Raw message

From: doug@netcom.com (Doug Merritt)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 93 09:33:00 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: ID of anonymous posters via word analysis?

"Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com> said:
>Astonishing how far urban legends go. This keeps getting distorted
>further and further. I've heard this go further and further and
>further from the version I first heard. I wonder if there ever was a
>real story to begin with.

Good question. I just checked a terse history of machine translation,
and it didn't mention any version of this. I suspect that its origin
was as a hypothetical example of the kinds of problems that can arise,
and that it didn't actually happen in any real life situation. Examples
like that have always been common in linguistics papers on such subjects.
	Doug

Thread