1993-11-20 - Re: War of the Worlds

Header Data

From: nobody@cicada.berkeley.edu
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e87b3e015a03d38eea7f1506e5d63ce6435d6641d2a4d5ffca58a3d84acddfef
Message ID: <9311201800.AA18503@cicada.berkeley.edu>
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Nov 93 10:02:07 PST

Raw message

From: nobody@cicada.berkeley.edu
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 93 10:02:07 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: War of the Worlds

>taken to ensure that no one took the dramatization seriously. Also, NBC
>ran into intensely unpleasant repercussions for their `fake exploding
>pickup' piece (didn't someone resign over this)?

Eh?  I don't think you're talking about the same case:

1) GM lost a $100 million dollar lawsuit: parents of a dead teen sued GM,
   they alleged faulty design caused the truck to explode.
2) NBC ran a story about these exploding trucks.
3) GM claimed the trucks were rigged to explode.
4) NBC consistently denied anything of the sort.
5) GM did their OWN extensive investigation and proved NBC fudged the
   results.
6) NBC finally admitted to rigging the experiment.  They fired three top
   execs of "DateLine" to COVER THEIR ASS.

>The point is that the media takes Truth very seriously. They go to the
>greatest lengths to achieve it.

This is crap.  NBC went through great lengths to cover the truth until
it became clear GM had them.

If for some reason you think eliminating ``pseudospoofing'' will
eliminate disinformation, you're way off since if happens ALL the time
NOW.

Thread