1993-11-08 - Re: Modem taps/Caller ID

Header Data

From: ljenkins@mv.us.adobe.com (Luis Jenkins)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f1f9e89124b93075525682c540d834cf0af561511f96818ef6692ec05bc0cdea
Message ID: <9311082332.AA09544@albertus.mv.us.adobe.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 8 Nov 93 15:28:45 PST

Raw message

From: ljenkins@mv.us.adobe.com (Luis Jenkins)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 93 15:28:45 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:  Modem taps/Caller ID

> Does anyone here know more about this? I would dearly love to set up a
> program on the PC in my basement that could capture Caller ID data and

There is a number of modems that will do this for you automatically.
The Supra comes to mind, and I believe the Zyxel also does it.

I do have the specs for CID somewhere, but off the top of my head I
don't recall how it is transmitted.

There was an intersting thread in comp.dcom.telecom about something
called the "Presto Chango!" box, that transmits bogus CID information
after the call is answered, so you can easily confuse most CID boxes
in the market.

	Luis

Thread