1993-11-12 - (fwd) Netcom adds access in Denver area

Header Data

From: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: fc37a0a802d66f56a451169de9d9637b403ee72530acf6a25f7515b0ba6a10ce
Message ID: <7321@an-teallach.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 04:39:28 PST

Raw message

From: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 04:39:28 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: (fwd) Netcom adds access in Denver area

In article <199311111815.KAA05545@mail.netcom.com> tcmay@netcom.com writes:
 > The best things about it: flat monthly fee ($17.50), unlimited connect
 > time, full range of services (much better than most universities have,
 > folks tell me), and--best of all--your Netcom account won't change
 > when you change jobs! And posting with Netcom presumably won't run the
 > risk of angering your employer.

 Unfortunately, your netcom account also won't change when you change
 internet vendors.  What everyone should have is their own domain name;
 netcom offers this service (a la david@sternlight.com) for, I think,
 $45/month.

 Anyone who's interested in a better deal might like to check out
 internet.com who offer your own domain (and a single user id) for
 $75/year.  You get your mail rewritten by them to your ordinary
 account elsewhere (eg tcmay@netcom.com) and can move the domain with
 you should you ever be dissatisfied with internet.com's service.

 Apologies, btw, for not talking about code, but I guess if Perry
 hasn't flamed Tim yet he's not going to flame me for posting this
 either :)

 > I'm thrilled that Netcom is expanding so rapidly.

 I'd be more thrilled if they were doing what demon do and putting
 people's own sites on the net under SLIP for a flat rate (with demon
 it's 10 pounds per month - call it 15 bucks) and just ordinary phone-
 call costs on top.  [If netcom now does this, apologies - it's been
 some time since I looked into the US slip culture]

 This *is* a cypherpunks related goal IMHO, because everyone having
 their own site at home rather than just using their PCs as terminals
 to systems like netcom means they can *much* more easily integrate
 pgp into their routine mailing life.  (Uploading and downloading
 pgp mail is such a hassle for some people - like prz himself - that
 they just don't do it...)