1993-11-10 - put me in your kill file

Header Data

From: “L. Detweiler” <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: fd68e79ac5c4b614a241ec1a30d20975eb1ab059b3fd43ec2e87aa8ada3178f9
Message ID: <9311100701.AA08606@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 23:03:17 PST

Raw message

From: "L. Detweiler" <ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 23:03:17 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: put me in your kill file

Earlier I suggested that Mr. Hughes had put me in his kill file. I
actually had misinterpreted another message from another eminent
cypherpunk (involved in MacPGP developement) who quoted Mr. Hughes and
then his own indication that he was putting me in his kill file in my
mail. Sorry for the confusion. Quite to the contrary, as recent events
demonstrate, Mr. Hughes has had the great courtesy and kindness to
continue to listen to my posts, even though I'm obviously very
personally rattled and these postings obviously upset him a great deal.
A true model of humanity and compassion to a troubled soul. My personal
and humble thanks, Mr. Hughes. You've been a guiding light and an
inspiration to me these last few weeks.

For everyone else who can't stand me, let me suggest that putting me in
your kill files will save you lots of exasperation. I certainly believe
it is a far more mature and sensible approach than a puerile stunt like
mini-mailbombing me. I fear that others are escalating a sensitive but
frivolous situation to rather extreme and inappropriate levels, with a
lot of intense emotionalism.

BTW, there is no need to inform me that I am in your kill file. That
would be rather pointless and defeat the purpose of defeating communication!

===cut=here===

The following has nothing to do with writing code, but hopefully posting
this will get me back on track....  I wrote this several weeks ago and have
been sitting on it ever since.

L. Detweiler's contributions of late have made me re-examine my feelings on
a variety of email- and cyberspace-related issues.

I very strongly believe that everyone has an inaliable right to express
themselves, as long as that expression doesn't harm others or impede their
ability to express *themselves*.

Up to now the amount of trash-mail (as I determine it) has been less than
ten percent of my mail, an amount I equate with the real-world equivalent
of billboards and junk-mail.  L. Detweiler's uncanny ability to craft
flame-bait and get the CypherPunks to respond has increased the trash-mail
percentage to the point where it's entered my awareness.

Torn between respect for someone who has a reputation for having made
contributions, worry about someone who seems to have a slim grasp on the
reality I'm experiencing, and annoyance at getting scores of ranting
incoherent messages, I've made a decision that I've never made before: to
put someone (L. Detweiler) into my kill-file.  This bothers me a great
deal.

But there it is.

----------------
To L. Detweiler:  I'm sorry, but your style, content, and quantity values
have gotten to the point where it seems unrewarding to deal with you.  The
decision to banish you bothers me a great deal, but not as much as reading
your mail does.  If you're sincere about the biblical amount of pain you
are in, I gently suggest (in my capacity as an EMT with some
crisis-intervention experience) that you talk about your pain to a
qualified person, perhaps an MFCC.  If you're doing all this to get a
reaction (for maybe a book) like Don Novello's Lazlo character of the last
three decades (and several books), then congratulations.

Thread