1993-12-01 - re: Big Brother/Bank Acco

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Message Hash: 191769d8fb868841cf20f65148fb7f2d0bd0a1c25de6e799ea77bc08471325a3
Message ID: <199312010130.AA09550@panix.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Nov 93 17:32:18 PST

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 93 17:32:18 PST
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Subject: re: Big Brother/Bank Acco

M >Given the material in the WiReD 1.6 article, how likely is it that a
M >true anonymous digital cash system would be allowed?  I know, I know;
M >there's "no way to prevent it"; however, I think that concept is
M >based on the premise that the Government proceeds rationally.

The East German government did not "proceed rationally" and yet is no
longer with us.

M >If somebody with an axe to grind gets hold of the "kidnapped baby"
M >scenario described in _Applied_Cryptography_, plenty of public
M >outrage and indignation could be generated.

To what end.  We have had the Kiddie Porn Over the Nets story of the Day
every day for the last six months in the US and the UK.  Have the nets
been shut down?  With the clearance rate for *murders* in NYC falling down
towards 30%, I doubt if we have much to worry about for our minor
"crimes."

M >Go on, reassure me that "all is well".

All is as well as can be extected and much better than we used to fear.

DCF

"I never expected to live to see the Death of Communism"

-- Friedrich Hayek a few months before his death (and a few months after
the SU's death.

--- WinQwk 2.0b#1165

Thread