1993-12-14 - Re: Signing pictures – how hard, how long?

Header Data

From: sdw@meaddata.com (Stephen Williams)
To: pcw@access.digex.net (Peter Wayner)
Message Hash: 20bdee84a1806e6d08c637a3f72a01833547debad22bde209331462593ccab14
Message ID: <9312141851.AA04601@jungle.meaddata.com>
Reply To: <199312141803.AA28396@access.digex.net>
UTC Datetime: 1993-12-14 18:53:53 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 14 Dec 93 10:53:53 PST

Raw message

From: sdw@meaddata.com (Stephen Williams)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 93 10:53:53 PST
To: pcw@access.digex.net (Peter Wayner)
Subject: Re: Signing pictures -- how hard, how long?

I doubt if it's that simple:  I'm sure that digital movies will
use compression (mpeg, etc.).  One flipped bit could scramble the
whole frame.  Even with lossless compression, error correction would
be worth adding.

It's going to be much easier to compress to mpeg in hardware than to
design tape that can handle the required frame rate/resolution without
compression.

> I think signing photographs and movie images is a difficult
> problem. Why? Because one flipped bit will completely screw
> up the hash function. Errors on these tapes happen rarely,
> but most video manufacturers aren't really going to bother
> worrying about occasional bit errors because they're usually
> invisible to the eye. Why waste all that extra effort on
> error correction if it's not worth the trouble. So signed
> photographs will also need to contain all of the error
> correction necessary and that will make them more expensive.
> This isn't any real cost on a general purpose machine, but
> it matters in some places.

sdw
--
Stephen D. Williams  Local Internet Gateway Co.; SDW Systems 513 496-5223APager
LIG dev./sales       Internet: sdw@lig.net CIS 76244.210@compuserve.com

Thread