1993-12-23 - Re: It had to happen…

Header Data

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com (bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2cf03350ebd3bb1bb2d492e3d323c7ab89e949a7c50dbd7ebdd098390a0d1401
Message ID: <9312230948.AA25374@anchor.ho.att.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 23 Dec 93 01:49:36 PST

Raw message

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com (bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 93 01:49:36 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:  It had to happen...

The cracker who's using Secure Drive could be an interesting case.
Unfortunately, assuming that a cracker at a university is probably
a student, he may not hve very good legal representation,
and I'd hate to see bad precedent on "can you be forced to reveal your key"
set because someone is not only a tresspasser but a stupid one as well.
Do you know if the wiretapping was being done by police, or if it was
just the university staff with ethernet sniffers?  I was interested
by your comment that they can't prosecute the person without the data;
while it could certainly be helpful to have, one would hope they had
a reasonably solid case *before* they went and arrested him.....

			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart  NCR Corp, 6870 Koll Center Parkway, Pleasanton CA, 94566
# Voice/Beeper 510-224-7043, Phone 510-484-6204
# email bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com billstewart@attmail.com

Thread