1993-12-09 - Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: EFF Statement on Cryptography & Policy

Header Data

From: jberman@eff.org (Jerry Berman)
To: jkreznar@ininx.com (John E. Kreznar)
Message Hash: 3180588291642edb8e9603205e40132d4ef40d4efd8021552ae567cb0dddc5de
Message ID: <199312091310.IAA19726@eff.org>
Raw Date: Thu, 9 Dec 93 05:15:56 PST

Raw message

From: jberman@eff.org (Jerry Berman)
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 93 05:15:56 PST
To: jkreznar@ininx.com (John E. Kreznar)
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: EFF Statement on Cryptography & Policy

John Krezner points out that EFF's crypto statement says

    *    There must be no broadening of governmental access to private
>> communications and records, through wiretap law or otherwise, unless there
>                                                                ^^^^^^
>> is a public consensus that the risks to safety outweigh the risks to
>> liberty and that our safety will actually be increased by the broadened
>> access.
>Does this imply that if some ``majority'' so elects, then you _would_
>sacrifice your privacy to broadened governmental access?  Is this a
>surrender to the most tenacious tyranny of all, the tyranny of the
>majority?  Or do you interpret ``consensus'' rigorously, that is, as
>an absence of dissent?

Jerry Berman responds:

NO. NO NO Thanks for pointing this out. I am sure our board will move to
amend the section to state our intent with the following words: "broadened
access, provided it is consistent with the Constitution and the Bill of
rights" or some such formulaton.

>        John E. Kreznar         | Relations among people to be by
>        jkreznar@ininx.com      | mutual consent, or not at all.

EFF ADDRESS

Jerry Berman
Executive Director