1993-12-02 - Re: EFF Op-Ed from the NY Tim

Header Data

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 354653ee4c8acc82de843a0c743f138e6d058593742a3599125842912d3638d1
Message ID: <YgzHtMa00awD4kbkkF@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <9312011905.AA21822@disvnm2.lehman.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-12-02 01:03:19 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 1 Dec 93 17:03:19 PST

Raw message

From: Matthew J Ghio <mg5n+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 93 17:03:19 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: EFF Op-Ed from the NY Tim

dmandl@lehman.com (David Mandl) wrote:

> > From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
> >
> > And another thing.  I'm sick and tired of moaning about cost.  Services
> > are virtually free today and prices can go nowhere but down.  There are
> > homeless people on the streets of NY with Internet accounts.
>
> Got a list of their names?

I doubt it.  If you're not enrolled at a major university, or employed
at a computer-related company, and don't subscribe to an expensive
online service, getting an internet account is NOT easy or cheap.
Services like netcom are expanding, but I seriously doubt a homeless
person could get an internet address.  Check out almost any BBS network
(other than fido) and every other week, some jerk will ask when they'll
get connected to the internet.  And every time, five sysops respond
"Fine.  We'd love to.  Would you mind telling us how the hell we could
connect to the internet???"

Thread