1993-12-05 - Re: Escobar and Cellular Ph0n3z

Header Data

From: Peter Wayner <pcw@access.digex.net>
To: unicorn@access.digex.net
Message Hash: 4a5aa47e11450a093c43f32ada3c10d21d4e811aba3da4b6def87d9a88621009
Message ID: <199312052227.AA07911@access.digex.net>
Raw Date: Sun, 5 Dec 93 14:29:50 PST

Raw message

From: Peter Wayner <pcw@access.digex.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 93 14:29:50 PST
To: unicorn@access.digex.net
Subject: Re:  Escobar and Cellular Ph0n3z

Notes on Escobar:

*) Tom Clancy's next-to-last novel, _Clear and Present Danger_ describes
a secret drug interdiction mission run by the US Government. It is a
novel, but he is well-known for getting many of the details right. The
important de-ja-vu is that in the novel, the agents used a "box" that
allowed them to recognize the voices of the various druglords no matter
which phone line they used. This box would scan all of the cellular
channels.

*) I believe that Escobar called some radio station to complain about
some story about him. The call was traced. Perhaps by mundane, Dragnet-era
techniques. (I'm not sure about this point. Any confirmation?)

Thread