1993-12-01 - soundfile stego

Header Data

From: jel@sutro.SFSU.EDU (John E. Levine)
To: newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu
Message Hash: 4cced8f1124597264f7d8f255f11c30d945f0b828c5de8253492aa71a6f0070f
Message ID: <9312010643.AA07855@sutro.SFSU.EDU>
Reply To: <9312010628.AA07814@sutro.SFSU.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1993-12-01 06:47:55 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Nov 93 22:47:55 PST

Raw message

From: jel@sutro.SFSU.EDU (John E. Levine)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 93 22:47:55 PST
To: newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu
Subject: soundfile stego

>> Also, I am told that humans have a tough time identifying
>> the phase of the frequency components of the sounds they
>> identify.  So one could hide date in the phase relationships
>> among the frequency components of, say, recorded speech.
>
>This sounds interesting.  How about detection,  how will some
>random phase relationships stand out against normal phase of
>various frequencies?

I suspect that the unusual phase relationships would stick
out, to anyone looking at the speech with,say, an oscilliscope.
  Eg, a squarewave would look pretty mangled if you shifted
its component frequencies by some random amount, even though
a human being might not be able to detect the difference between
a squarewave, and a component-frequency shifted squarewave.
  On the other hand, how often does speech over some electronic
medeum actually get analyzed this deeply?

Thread