1993-12-12 - Keyservers are back :-)

Header Data

From: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 55b2dac21999330d108fc2bbf07c22af26e1591d15cd6d63bbcaf2995780af8a
Message ID: <199312122329.XAA13735@an-teallach.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 12 Dec 93 15:32:26 PST

Raw message

From: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 93 15:32:26 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Keyservers are back :-)

Hi folks - this cypherpunk has been writing code... all damn weekend (I'm
really feeling old - 24hr hacks used to be no problem.  Now i have to
stop for 5 hours sleep...)

Anyway, I've written a completely new - no pgp or RSA code - key server
which I can't see anyone being able to object to.

I'm looking for volunteers to alpha-test it.  Note, alpha-testing means
you have to know what you're doing - it's not in any way tested already
and you'll be helping find the bugs and smooth the installation process.

Mail me at gtoal@an-teallach.com if you want to volunteer as a tester
for a week.

This server works as a slave server hanging off the European ones; it'll
be fast at returning keys that it knows about, that have been around
for some time; all other operations may be a little slower.

The nice thing about it is that - inspired by the cypherpunk remailers -
I've written it so that it can run on ordinary users accounts.  I think
it will be quite hard to get rid of this time :)

Just one thing - it needs the 'procmail' suite.  If you have it, fine, you'll
make a great tester; if you don't, please fetch it and get it running before
you approach me for the keyserver code.

In a week's time - ought to be enough for testing and fixing (I mean, it
only took two days to write the damn thing in the first place) - I'll
be releasing the code and hopefully making an announcement of all the
new keyservers that will exist.  (That last bit is up to you guys...)

Graham

Thread