1993-12-08 - Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: DPSWG Crypto-Policy Statement to White House

Header Data

From: sommerfeld@orchard.medford.ma.us (Bill Sommerfeld)
To: Jim_Miller@suite.com
Message Hash: 783ac112aeac1fd9829512ac4f5acabfa7f2f26ae32b8547e55bd90e12bc03d0
Message ID: <199312081520.KAA00346@orchard.medford.ma.us>
Reply To: <9312072331.AA02459@bilbo.suite.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-12-08 15:35:41 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 8 Dec 93 07:35:41 PST

Raw message

From: sommerfeld@orchard.medford.ma.us (Bill Sommerfeld)
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 93 07:35:41 PST
To: Jim_Miller@suite.com
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: DPSWG Crypto-Policy Statement to White House

   Although we don't make custom versions of our software for specific
   customers, our software, due to its nature, is highly customizable by the
   purchaser.  Neither the Cantwell bill, nor the DPSWG letter mentions this
   type of software product.

Huh?  Does the fact that Microsoft C or WinDoze contains run-time
libraries and is "highly customizeable" cause it to cease to be a
mass-market product?

Read the bill more carefully; it doesn't say anything about required
sales volume, and allows for telephone/etc support for installs and
the like.  It also doesn't say anything about "end users".  As long as
the *seller* doesn't customize it for each user, it's mass-market.

BTW a "standard commercial channel" includes mail/phone orders.

					- Bill

Thread