1993-12-11 - Re: value of privacy?

Header Data

From: Dave Hart <davehart@microsoft.com>
To: baumbach@atmel.com
Message Hash: 83a716a7ec0adb553fc6089776c81dedf2b4f6247bb1e76d290ddf86c58f657b
Message ID: <9312110349.AA00586@netmail.microsoft.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 10 Dec 93 19:49:41 PST

Raw message

From: Dave Hart <davehart@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 93 19:49:41 PST
To: baumbach@atmel.com
Subject: Re: value of privacy?

I use a variation on the below whenever I get a telemarketer calling --
but instead of asking for the home number, I just ask for their number,
meaning work number.  Amazingly, it's very effective.  Apparently
outbound telemarketers often don't want to get inbound phone calls.
----------
| From:    <netmail!baumbach@atmel.com>
|
| An idea that I have never used, but was suggested to me by my father, goes
| like this:
|
| RING RING
|
| me: Hello
|
| ??: Mr. Peter Baumbach, I am calling from ICK inc. to offer you ..
|
| me: Excuse me, but I am busy right now. Could you give me your name and
|    home phone number, and I will call you back later?
|
| ??: Huh? I can't give you my home number, that's private.
|
| me: But you know my name and number.  This hardly seems fair.

Thread