1993-12-01 - Crypto Anarchy, the Gover

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Message Hash: c9f48ea0b0b1188fc23bc41ab64fd7ac025297271e48351c4a9173bd6aa44513
Message ID: <199312010130.AA09560@panix.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Nov 93 17:32:49 PST

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 93 17:32:49 PST
To: CYPHERPUNKS@toad.com
Subject: Crypto Anarchy, the Gover

T >You mean, how likely is that the government will allow a system that
T >makes taxation almost impossible, that enables black markets, that
T >facilitates the transfer of illegal information, and that basically
T >nukes the present arrangement?
T >
T >I don't think they'll "allow" it. But this doesn't mean it won't
T >happen.

For all of you who didn't hear my talk at ECFP '93 in London on the 20th
(quite a few since there were fewer than 75 there) here is my conclusion
which addresses this subject.

****

"And what can we call this new form of social organization growing on the
nets and in the modern fluid business environment?  When two or more
people can meet together and communicate freely and privately without
interference by outsiders, they can trade -- they can form a market.  If
this trade on the nets is made free from even the possibility of
external regulation, what we have is a free market and a free society."

****

Remember kids God fights on the side with the heaviest artillery.  Unless
the government can come up with a way of blocking the above communication,
it is SOOL.

T >Imagine this: to get on the Data Superhighway, which will likely be
T >the only major lines if the government succeeds in making it the
T >mandatory standard, every data packet must have a "license plate."
T >Don't laugh! The idea of a license plate on data packets is coming. It
T >would provide the kind of traceability that control freaks like
T >Detweiler claim to want

So what if the car has a license plate if you can't tell what is in the
car.  No matter what happens telecoms will be cheap.  Cheap means you can
establish accounts and run a virtual network without disclosing the
contents of the network messages or even that the network exists.  You can
hide your virtual network inside a much larger pseudo network which
contains nothing interesting.

DCF

"The Trader swims in the sea of communications" -- Left out of Mao on
Guerrilla Warfare because of editing error.

--- WinQwk 2.0b#1165

Thread