1993-12-21 - Remailer Keys, etc.

Header Data

From: Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f7ed8969976f92d2f0f0fe9eb568da8609641f57cf33673eae281723279c98eb
Message ID: <01H6Q1WVU07694HTTD@delphi.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 20 Dec 93 22:24:53 PST

Raw message

From: Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 93 22:24:53 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Remailer Keys, etc.

"ub075@freenet.victoria.bc.ca" wrote:

>First off, anyone notice how quiet it is in here without LD?
>There used to be 30-40 messages a day, now I only see about 15
>(Or so.. no KF)

Nice, isn't it. And the S/N ratio has been much higher.

>Second, what size should a remailer key be? Is there really any
>need for military grade encryption on a remailer that might have
>3 or 4 nested messages, each encrypted?

Depends on how fast the system running the remailer is. Key length
has little effect on encryption time, but a major effect on decryption
time. So if the machine is fast, use a 1024 bit key. If the machine
is slow or heavily loaded, and there is nothing going through it
that might interest a spook, use a 512 bit key.

-- Mike (encrypt your hard drive, ask me how)

Thread