1994-01-27 - Re: Anonymous Anonymous ftp

Header Data

From: eric@Synopsys.COM
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0393b9d1463c05b6152dc48c6415ef3d0f631c14d90249bb7db0ba827d803bd2
Message ID: <199401271931.AA14001@gaea.synopsys.com>
Reply To: <199401270809.AAA12139@mail.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-01-27 19:32:15 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 27 Jan 94 11:32:15 PST

Raw message

From: eric@Synopsys.COM
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 94 11:32:15 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Anonymous Anonymous ftp

(Timothy C. May) said:

Tim> (Bob (Charles (Doris (Ed (........ (Zeke (final stuff))))....)))

Tim> Envelopes within envelopes within envelopes. (Naturally we need better
Tim> tools for doing this encapsulization, as manual efforts are too
Tim> error-prone, besides being hideously boring.)

Tim> Well, enough for now. There could be some fatal flaws, but this is the
Tim> direction I've been thinking about. Eric Messick and Hugh Daniel had
Tim> some ideas about "onions" about a year ago, but I never fully grokked
Tim> what their scheme was. If it was a scheme like this, and I have either
Tim> duplicated their thinking or was subconsciously affected by it, I
Tim> trust they'll let us all know.

What you've got here is very similar, but you've added a very
interesting slant to it.  The cost of setting up a prepaid mailer (at
least in terms of distributed compute power) appears to be pretty
high,  but the security you gain from it is likely to be worth it for
certain applications.  I'll have to spend some time studying this.
Very interesting indeed...

-eric messick

Thread