1994-01-10 - Forged messages part of “Operation”?

Header Data

From: Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1824e86fc72bd57d4c6e82f333bbcf6c12ccf5599b1464edc1504e91ff287ac0
Message ID: <01H7HZH8EKZ68Y611I@delphi.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 9 Jan 94 22:11:33 PST

Raw message

From: Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 94 22:11:33 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Forged messages part of "Operation"?

"greg@ideath.goldenbear.com" writes:

>Someone recently posted a forged message with my name on it to the
>Cypherwonks list. In the future, all of my messages will be sent
>PGP-clearsigned. Please ignore (or mail to me) any messages which
>aren't - particularly if they appear to support Detweiler and his
>totalitarian schemes, which this particular forgery did.
>
>The header of the message in question was a byte-for-byte duplicate
>of an authentic header from a message I did write; apparently our
>favorite cyberspatial lunatic has moved beyond just signature blocks.

This message forging may be about to become a major problem. In his last
post "Current Operational Status", S.Boxx spewed forth:
(I hereby flame myself for quoting Detweiler - so don't bother)

---snip---snip---

Operation Octopus - this is the multiple pseudonym and agent project.
We plan to have at least a dozen (hence the name) posting
simultaneously to many different lists and the newsgroups. But the
overhead on this is very significant, and it will take us awhile to
gear up and build the infrastructure to the point we can `engage'. You
have seen more of these agents lately `out there', but our coordinated
attack will take some more planning.

Operation Duplicity - extremely top secret. Let's just say, you will be
seeing double, and triple, and quadruple, and ...
---snip---snip---

If he starts flooding the newsgroups, what can we do about it?
I'd watch for forged messages and posts, and if you don't have a key
on the servers, check to make sure a forged one isn't posted.

--- Mike

Thread