1994-01-11 - Re: Public key encryption, income tax and government

Header Data

From: Carl Ellison <cme@sw.stratus.com>
To: N/A
Message Hash: 375b42e47019c1748ad5dcc3bcf7223535e365b50af3e0a657481dd6894d0f72
Message ID: <199401111620.LAA14192@ellisun.sw.stratus.com>
Reply To: <jdurr-100194200236@nubs92.ccs.itd.umich.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-01-11 16:21:44 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 11 Jan 94 08:21:44 PST

Raw message

From: Carl Ellison <cme@sw.stratus.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 94 08:21:44 PST
Subject: Re: Public key encryption, income tax and government

-----BEGIN PRIVACY-ENHANCED MESSAGE-----
Proc-Type: 2001,MIC-CLEAR
Originator-Name: cme@sw.stratus.com
Originator-Key-Asymmetric:
 MIGbMAoGBFUIAQECAgP+A4GMADCBiAKBgCl79/jl0DEVl1GQzOHlzjDmChDDxnWO
 Acd7jShj2x1vclFh6vbHx9IJqkQdwNhNAWf8XnTrqBDN+VSBc1qdT6nSEAbNPxHD
 XcvY2DudhuRaRBVLgUQ4scTK657m90Q+bTL5yIh2MaFipUw9BgbIXPTDlksSskWP
 9oHjo+pCJC+lAgMBAAE=
MIC-Info: RSA-MD5,RSA,
 C3gMSFO0aMHOYmm5S1biubEdUqIq8HEhOvSHO8n/+DqknxLju55dTCcI43u6rhH9
 Nh6A0d8+9rZFi1P+sNAJ/kk0ory5q144Chg1z1Aukf/uLrhDLYkZZhplL0tFSi5y
 YWmf6jzlH5I6tcTzMbpf5/5iHFsgLiFJ0LVFn1rYwTY=

In article <jdurr-100194200236@nubs92.ccs.itd.umich.edu> jdurr@eland.com (J. Durr) writes:

>from Strategic Investment, p 11, November 11 1993
>
>Escape to Cypherspace:
>The Information Revolution and the demise of the income tax
>
>by James Bennett
>
>The ultimate revenge of the Nerds
>
>     Readers of Strategic Investment are already aware of the crucial
>role of the microchip in eroding the power of governments over their
>citizens.  Recent developments herald an expansion of this role that
>promises to dwarf the effects seen to date.

>[...] in
>the coming decade, it may create consequences which change the life of
>everyone on the planet more than the atomic bomb.

Mr. Bennett is clearly a victim of the popular impression that privacy is
somehow new.  Anything which can be done with public key encryption can be
done already with private communications (whispers, notes which are mailed
and destroyed, secret mail drops, couriers, secret-key encryption, ...).

All the hype over cryptoanarchy is overblown.  We are capable of anarchy,
income tax evasion and secret bank accounts today.  Look around you.  How
much of that do you see in your own life?  What makes you think that you'll
see any more of it in 10 years?

 - Carl

P.S.  His claim that RSA markets RIPEM was humorous -- but sad.  Maybe it's
always like this when the general public gets interested in something
technical.
-----END PRIVACY-ENHANCED MESSAGE-----

Thread