1994-01-20 - Re: Internet Banking

Header Data

From: Matthew Bernardini <matthew@gandalf.rutgers.edu>
To: mcb@net.bio.net (Michael C. Berch)
Message Hash: 37bc0f754bcbe3a954449e2e0c03e9787a20767fe7c19a43eaf3cf6e583a7b56
Message ID: <CMM-RU.1.3.759090340.matthew@gandalf.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 20 Jan 94 10:26:49 PST

Raw message

From: Matthew Bernardini <matthew@gandalf.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 94 10:26:49 PST
To: mcb@net.bio.net (Michael C. Berch)
Subject: Re: Internet Banking

> [...]
> checkbook around years ago and use credit cards for all possible
> transactions: you get a comprehensive statement at the end of the month with
> the names of all your vendors, and you also get a nice premium for
> using their transaction services (mine is airline frequent-flyer miles).
> In any future banking system one must assume that card-based
> transaction service will be the main, if not only, means of
> casual transaction, and it will be up to us to to build in the
> ncessary privacy and authenticating schemes to make this a trustable
> system.  I find it difficult to imagine large-scale displacement of
> institutions like VISA, MasterCard, and Amex, simply because they do
> what they do (provide instant POS credit authorization, guarantee
> merchants quick payment, etc.) very well.
>
> While e-mail "cheques" are attractive because the mail infrastructure
> is almost entirely there already, I wonder if they will ever become more
> than a small percentage of total transactions, possibly limited to
> pre-authorized direct drafts for such things as utility bills, and
> maybe mail orders and transactions between individuals.
>
> #3, privacy, is a very difficult issue because of the regulatory role
> of the government.  Because of the degree to which strong financial
> privacy threatens government power (especially taxing power; see
> business in or "touching" the US and most politically similar
> sovereignties will not be able to prevent themselves from disclosing
> identity and transaction information about their customers, and (2)
> people will probably be prohibited from dealing with these banks if
> they are in fact beyond the reach of legal process.
>
> This leads to the key question: should one trust (i.e., disclose
> one's identity to) or not trust one's bank?  It would certainly be nice
> to be able to trust your bank, as it makes things much easier for all
> parties.  They would be able to freely grant you credit (#4 above),
> since you could verifiably prove your assets, real property,
> employment, etc.  But if you trust your bank, then they may be forced
> to disclose your identity to the government under legal process.  Thus
> it is probably best to postulate a banking system that does not
> require trust.
>
> This complicates #4, credit.  I can envision a system of vouched-for
> indirection (not unlike signing PGP-keys) that would allow you (the
> borrower) to disclose assets/earning capacity to a trusted third party
> that would certify to a lender that you (known to the lender only as a
> numbered account) are credit-worthy.  If it can be made possible
> to break the traceability link between the credit-vouching agency and
> the lender, privacy may be possible.  One problem may be that
> credit-vouching agencies cannot easily be "offshore", since they may
> need to examine your real estate (or whatever) though this could be
> done, perhaps, by appraisers or other local agents.

I am new to this list, so excuse me if this topic has already been
discussed,  but I think you need to take a 200 level course in economics
called Money and Banking.  I think the idea is so obsessed with tax-evasion
and privacy protection that you have ignored all the economic consequences
of the ideas you are proposing.

1) Who will insure your money ?  Can you trust anyone but the US gov't to
back your funds ?  Even in the S&L scandal the gov't refunded money to
people that weren't insured by the FDIC.  Do you think they would come to
the cypher-punk rescue if your money up and flew to Brazil ?

2)  A doctoral thesis could be written about this one, but what about the
Federal Reserve ?  You would wreak havoc on interest rates, inflation,
international balance of payments, and international trade.  How would this
electronic bank adjust for inflation or an expanding/shrinking electronic
money supply ?  Take a look at some historical texts that describe the
problems that the Early American Revolutionaries had in breaking from the
British Currency.  It took several failed efforts, and the currency of the
United States has been constatnly evolving ever since.

3) Interest Rates and Inflation ...

4) Interest Rates and Inflation ....

5) You guessed it, Interest Rates and Inflation.

What about Capital Markets ?
What about foreign labor unit exchanges?
Is mexican labor worth as much as US labor?

I think there are more economic issues than encryption issues to be
considered in this case.

Matt

                        |               Rutgers University Computing Services
Matthew Bernardini      |               Hill Micro/Graphics Center
7804 McCormick          |               Site-Manager
(908) 878-0946          |               017 Hill Center