1994-01-21 - Re: SQUISH IDIOCY

Header Data

From: Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@cpac.washington.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 549a925dab5865d0524707afdc8c0323d78a72fbb3d0ecea21496d8ce47b8ca9
Message ID: <9401210405.AA05941@yang.cpac.washington.edu>
Reply To: <199401202214.PAA13868@longs.lance.colostate.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-01-21 04:06:50 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 20 Jan 94 20:06:50 PST

Raw message

From: Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@cpac.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 94 20:06:50 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: SQUISH IDIOCY

ld231782@longs.lance.colostate.edu ("Anus-for-brains") writes:

| However, I remind YOU, cypherpunks, that I am NOT responsible for anything
| that comes out of YOUR remailers. If YOU wish to assault ME or MY POSTMASTER
| (who has far better things to do with his time than deal with YOUR smear
| campaigns and mailbombs) over anything that I post, YOU must first prove that
| I posted it. but even if you do, if I posted it through a remailer, I am NOT
| RESPONSIBLE. I remind you, THAT IS THE POINT OF YOUR REMAILERS.
|
| If YOU wish to believe that things that come out of YOUR remailers may be
| ANONYMOUS DEATH THREATS or LIBEL or HARASSMENT of different mailing lists I
| encourage YOU to rethink YOUR design. [...]

I'm beginning to think that he's right.  Not that he isn't responsible for
anything he ships through the remailers, but that the remailers should be
redesigned, because it's becoming clear that boneheads such as Detweiler rob
such remailers of any potential usefulness through their abuse.

For this reason, I'm going to start rejecting any mail coming from an anonymous
remailer.  I've just gotten to the point where any potential usefulness is
totally outweighed by their inconvenience and the inability to filter the
ani-for-brains who persist in abusing them.  Unless someone can come up with a
way to make them useful again, I just can't see any reason to read 'em.

				---Ken McGlothlen
				   mcglk@cpac.washington.edu
				   mcglk@cpac.bitnet

Thread