1994-01-15 - ANNOUNCE: Secure Drive 1.1

Header Data

From: Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com>
To: alt.privacy.usenet@decwrl.dec.com
Message Hash: 763da0f5c1b863d3c3ae7b37fb8982b98b7297382c4ad973c62aac4d403b9871
Message ID: <01H7OVFBX1UE9GVIL4@delphi.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 14 Jan 94 20:35:47 PST

Raw message

From: Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 94 20:35:47 PST
To: alt.privacy.usenet@decwrl.dec.com
Subject: ANNOUNCE: Secure Drive 1.1

                              INTRODUCING

                    S E C U R E   D R I V E   1 . 1
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                             AVAILABLE NOW

Secure Drive 1.0 users:

Secure Drive 1.1 has three improvements over V1.0:

* Two-drives bug fixed. Secure Drive 1.0 could get the drive letters
  out of order if you had two physical hard drives. V1.1 fixes this
  problem.

* Enhanced passphrase security: Secure Drive 1.0 used a simple MD5 of
  the passphrase as the IDEA key. This allowed a fast passphrase search.
  V1.1 iterates the passphrase hash 2048 times to slow down an attacker.

* One-step passphrase change. CRYPTDSK allows you to easily change your
  passphrase, without a separate encrypt/decrypt cycle. This also enhances
  security: there is no "window of opportunity" during which the data is
  in clear on the disk, and no magnetic traces of the plaintext.

There is a Secure Drive version 1.2 going around. I was not aware of it
until I saw an announcement on the Cypherpunks. This version contains
some enhancements to interact with the PGPPASS variable, enabling you
to easily use the same passphrase with PGP and Secure Drive.
***HOWEVER - it does not include either the bug fix or the security
enhancements of version 1.1. While I would like to see these PGP-compatible
features included in Secure Drive, the bugs need to be fixed. For now,
please use V1.1. You will need to decrypt and re-encrypt your hard drive,
because the new hashing algorithm generates a different IDEA key for
the same passphrase. I will talk to the author of V1.2 about adding his
improvements to V1.1 to create a version 1.3 soon.

Secure Drive 1.1 is available within the U.S. and Canada ONLY, due to
US export laws. FTP to csn.org, cd /mpj, and read README.MPJ. This is
an export-controlled FTP site which also carries RIPEM and other
cryptographic software. The file README.MPJ will explain how to access
the cryptographic code from within the U.S. and Canada. You will be able
to download immediately; there is no sign-up-and-wait procedure.

(Ad continues)

Do you have confidential or sensitive information on your DOS/Windows
PC or laptop? Imagine what could happen if that data were to fall into
the wrong hands through theft or unauthorized access.

Protect your privacy with SecureDrive. SecureDrive allows you to create
an encrypted hard drive partition and encrypted floppy disks. All of
your sensitive data is automatically encrypted with the state-of-the-art
IDEA cipher. You simply log in with your passphrase, and the program is
completely transparent to your applications.

The TSR uses only 2K RAM, and encrypts at the sector level. An intruder
gets nothing - not even your directory listing. You can decrypt your
disks at any time. The program automatically switches on and off as
you access encrypted and unencrypted floppies. Invalid passwords will
cause a Drive Not Ready error, locking out writes and protecting your
data from damage.

The program is Copylefted under the GNU General Public License, and source
code in C and assembly language is included. This program is free and
always will be. This program may be freely distributed within the U.S.
and Canada; do not export it.

Cypherpunks Write Code!

Thread