1994-01-26 - DEF CON ][ Initial Announcement

Header Data

From: Conal.Garrity@f8004.n282.z1.fidonet.org (Conal Garrity)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9be0fc9ef63c5786a78c1464139df95c498cc7ee69af412f74d4972063b982e2
Message ID: <0419401252102@nisc.fidonet.org>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1994-01-26 02:16:53 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 18:16:53 PST

Raw message

From: Conal.Garrity@f8004.n282.z1.fidonet.org (Conal Garrity)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 18:16:53 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: DEF CON ][ Initial Announcement

Updated Last : 1.16.1994

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xx     DEF CON ][ Convention Initial Announcement
xxxxxxxXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xx   DEF CON ][ Convention Initial Announcement
xxxxxxXXXXXXxxxxxx  x    x      DEF CON ][ Convention Initial Announcement
xxxxxXXXXXXXXxxxxxxx  x         DEF CON ][ Convention Initial Announcement
xxxxXXXXXXXXXXxxxx xxxxxxxxx    DEF CON ][ Convention Initial Announcement
xxxXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxx x     DEF CON ][ Convention Initial Announcement
xxXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxx  xx  x   DEF CON ][ Convention Initial Announcement
xxxXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxx         DEF CON ][ Convention Initial Announcement
xxxxXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxx x xx     DEF CON ][ Convention Initial Announcement
xxxxxXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxx  xx x   DEF CON ][ Convention Initial Announcement
xxxxxxXXXXXXxxxxxxxxx x         DEF CON ][ Convention Initial Announcement
xxxxxxxXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      DEF CON ][ Convention Initial Announcement
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx DEF CON ][ Convention Initial Announcement

READ & DISTRIBUTE & READ & DISTRIBUTE & READ & DISTRIBUTE & READ & DISTRIBUTE

What's this?  This is the initial announcement and invitation to DEF CON ][,
a convention for the "underground" elements of the computer culture.  We try
to target the (Fill in your favorite word here): Hackers, Phreaks, Hammies,
Virii coders, programmers, crackers, Cyberpunk Wannabees, Civil Liberties
Groups, CypherPunks, Futurists, Artists, Etc..

WHO:   You know who you are, you shady characters.
WHAT:  A convention for you to meet, party, and listen to some speeches
       that you would normally never hear.
WHEN:  July 22, 23, 24 - 1994
WHERE: Las Vegas, Nevada @ The Sahara Hotel

So you heard about DEF CON I, and want to hit part ][?  You heard about the
parties, the info discussed, the bizarre atmosphere of Las Vegas and want to
check it out in person?  Load up your laptop muffy, we're heading to Vegas!

Here is what Three out of Three people said about last years convention:

"DEF CON I, last week in Las Vegas, was both the strangest and the best
computer event I have attended in years." -- Robert X. Cringely, Info World

"Toto, I don't think we're at COMDEX anymore." -- Coderipper, Gray Areas

"Soon we were at the hotel going through the spoils: fax sheets, catalogs,
bits of torn paper, a few McDonald's Dino-Meals and lots of coffee grounds.
The documents disappeared in seconds."  -- Gillian Newson, New Media Magazine

Last year we held DEF CON I, which went over great, and this year we are
planning on being bigger and better.  We have expanded the number of
speakers to included midnight tech talks and additional speaking on Sunday.
We attempt to bring the underground into contact with "legitimate" speakers.
Sure it's great to meet and party with fellow hackers, but besides that we
try to provide information and speakers in a forum that can't be found at
other conferences.

While there is an initial concern that this is just another excuse for the
evil hackers to party and wreak havok, it's just not the case.  People come
to DEF CON for information and for making contacts.  We strive to distinguish
this convention from others in that respect.

WHAT'S NEW THIS YEAR:

This year will be much larger and more organized than last year.  We have a
much larger meeting area, and have better name recognition.  Because of this
we will have more speakers on broader topics.  Expect speaking to run
Saturday and Sunday, ending around 5 p.m.  Some of the new things expected
include:

o An INet connection with sixteen ports will be there, _BUT_ will only
  provide serial connections because terminals are too hard to ship.  So
  bring a laptop with communications software if you want to connect to the
  network.  Thanks to cyberlink communications for the connection.

o There will be door prizes, and someone has already donated a Cell Phone
  to give away.

o Dr. Ludwig will present his virii creation awards on Sunday.

o A bigger and better "Spot The Fed" contest, which means more shirts to
  give away.

o More room, we should have tables set up for information distribution.
  If you have anything you want distributed, feel free to leave it on the
  designated tables.  Yes, this year there will be a true 24 hour
  convention space.

o A 24 hour movie / video suite where we will be playing all type of stuff.
  VHS Format.  Mail me with suggested titals to show, or bring your own.

o Midnight Tech Talks on Friday and Saturday night to cover the more
  technical topics and leave the days free for more general discussions.

WHO IS SPEAKING:

I was going to run a list of the current speakers we have lined up, but at
this point things are still fluid.  In a few months when the speakers list
is more solidified I will release it.  I'll name the poeple who have
committed to attending in the next announcement.  Trust me.

WHERE THIS THING IS:

It's in Las Vegas, the town that never sleeps.  Really. There are no clocks
anywhere in an attempt to lull you into believing the day never ends.  Talk
about virtual reality, this place fits the bill with no clunky hardware.  If
you have a buzz you may never know the difference.  It will be at the Sahara
Hotel.  Intel as follows:

        The Sahara Hotel: 1.800.634.6078
        Room Rates: Single/Double $55, Tripple $65, Suite $120
                    (Usually $200) + 8% tax
        Transportation: Shuttles from the airport for cheap

   NOTE:  Please make it clear you are registering for the DEF CON ][
   convention to get the room rates.  Our convention space price is
   based on how many people register.  Register under a false name if
   it makes you feel better, 'cuz the more that register the better for
   my pocket book.  No one under 21 can rent a room by themselves, so
   get your buddy who is 21 to rent for you and crash out.  Don't let
   the hotel people get their hands on your baggage, or there is a
   mandatory $3 group baggage fee.  Vegas has killer unions.

OTHER STUFF:

If you check out Wired like 1.5 or 1.6 there was a blurb about the new
Luxor hotel with it's total VR experience.  It looks like the first true VR
ride / experience for a group of people, it seats eight.  Intense.  A friend
was just over there, and tested out the various rides.  Not to be outdone
the new MGM grand (Largest hotel in the world) has a ride called the R360
which is basically a gyroscope they trap you into with goggles.  We should
get a group together and make a mass trek over there and check it out.
If enough people are interested I'll call and see if we can book a time
to reserve space for a bunch of us.  Both are within walking distance.

I'll whip up a list of stuff that's cool to check out in town there so if for
some reason you leave the awesome conference you can take in some unreal
sites in the city of true capitalism.

MEDIA:

Some of the places you can look for information from last year include:

New Media Magazine, September 1993
InfoWorld, 7-12-1993 and also 7-19-1993 by Robert X. Cringely
Gray Areas Magazine, Vol 2, #3 (Fall 1993)
Unix World, ???
Phrack #44

COST:

Cost is whatever you pay for a hotel room split however many ways, plus
$15 if you preregister, or $30 at the door.  This gets you a nifty 24 bit
color name tag (We're gonna make it niftier this year) and your foot in the
door.  There are fast food places all over, and there is alcohol all over
the place but the trick is to get it during a happy hour for maximum
cheapness.

UPDATE:

I wanted to thank whoever sent in the anonymous fax to Wired that
was printed in issue 1.5  Cool deal!

Dan Farmer posted his paper on unix security on the net, and I've put a
copy of it on the ftp site if you want to grab it and take a look.  It's
called "zen.txt"

I've recieved more scanned images from last year, and they will be put on
the ftp site.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

For InterNet users, there is a DEF CON anonymous ftp site at cyberspace.com
in /pub/defcon.  There are digitized pictures, digitized speeches and text
files with the latest up to date info available.

For email users, you can email dtangent@defcon.org for more information.

For non-net people call:

        The Alliance BBS [612] 251.8596 16.8k speed Dual Standard
        Open Access.  24 Hours.  Users get full access on 1st call.
        iirg disto site, Syncro Net, text files galore.
        Sysop: Metal Head (The huge guy from last year)
        A DEF CON directory is maintained here

For Snail Mail send to: DEF CON, 2709 E. Madison Street Suite #102,
                        Seattle, WA, 98112

For Voice Mail and maybe a human (me), 0-700-TANGENT on an AT&T phone.

A DEF CON Mailing list is maintained, and the latest announcements are mailed
automatically to you.  If you wish to be added to the list just send email
to dtangent@defcon.org.  We also maintain a chat mailing list where people
can talk to one another and plan rides, talk, whatever.  If you request to
be on this list your email address will be shown to everyone, just so you
are aware.

[Note: We need some good list-serv software for BSD, if anyone knows where
to find some, please e-mail me.]

STUFF TO SPEND YOUR MONEY ON:

> Tapes of last years speakers (four 90 minute tapes) are available for $20

> DEF CON I tee-shirts (white, large only) with large color logo on the
  front, and on the back the Fourth Amendment, past and present.  This is
  shirt v 1.1 with no type-o's.  These are $20, and sweatshirts are $25.

> Pre-Register for next year in advance for $15 and save half.

> Make all checks/money orders/etc. out to DEF CON, and mail to the address
  above.

If you have any confidential info to send, use this PGP key to encrypt:

The next announcement will have more updated information.  I'll hold off
on naming the speakers unless they commit to attending.  It looks to be
a great line up.

- The Dark Tangent

Thread