1994-01-12 - Re: Updated/corrected posting

Header Data

From: karn@qualcomm.com (Phil Karn)
To: hkhenson@cup.portal.com
Message Hash: 9f6384bf03fa07e330d627c7040ae2f8a6acf97bc73d9e847f56cca3f77764b8
Message ID: <199401120000.QAA13865@servo.qualcomm.com>
Reply To: <9401111304.2.14612@cup.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-01-12 00:05:21 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 11 Jan 94 16:05:21 PST

Raw message

From: karn@qualcomm.com (Phil Karn)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 94 16:05:21 PST
To: hkhenson@cup.portal.com
Subject: Re: Updated/corrected posting

>*Anyone* with a grudge (and access to this kind of stuff) can send you
>a package in the mail and tip off the postal inspectors.  Short of the
>obvious (don't make enemies!) how can you protect yourself from this
>kind of attack?

This sounds like the standard KGB practice to frame "spies". Have an
agent posing as a dissident ask you to carry a letter to the
West. When it changes hands, pounce. Then conduct a show trial
"proving" that "secret" information changed hands.

I'm seeing fewer and fewer differences between the present-day USA and
the former USSR.

Phil

Thread