1994-01-27 - Re: Steganography and noise

Header Data

From: “Mark W. Eichin” <eichin@paycheck.cygnus.com>
To: cme@sw.stratus.com
Message Hash: ba386d63a5148a8a0398ad5672ba250a0445d8da1a0ddc4a675437bfe8dc96f8
Message ID: <9401271946.AA00269@paycheck.cygnus.com>
Reply To: <199401271843.NAA00648@ellisun.sw.stratus.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-01-27 21:02:55 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 27 Jan 94 13:02:55 PST

Raw message

From: "Mark W. Eichin" <eichin@paycheck.cygnus.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 94 13:02:55 PST
To: cme@sw.stratus.com
Subject: Re: Steganography and noise

I never did contact the author, but the stereogram code on soda had
one major byte-order dependencies in the file format -- I cheated and
just used emacs to twiddle the first four bytes of each of the data
files, and was able to get it to work (nice thing about having a sun
3/50 at home -- 19" monochrome monitor that works *great* for
these...) under linux. I've also seen code to generate ascii
stereograms, but don't have it online (yes, I only saw it on paper)
and don't have permission to post it in any case. The algorithm is
simple, though, and the program could be done as a short perl script...

I've never been clear on where to hide the data, though -- in the
random background pattern? in something that is visible at a certain
separation distance? (a friend had the admittedly odd suggestion of
hiding one stereogram in another, by having the image you see with
crossed eyes be a random dot pattern itself...)

				_Mark_ <eichin@paycheck.cygnus.com>
				... just me at home ...

Thread