1994-01-19 - an idle little thought

Header Data

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bb04c16ab8ff287d0688d594da4877510f83d534e0c9059dd0d5768cc09b55ad
Message ID: <9401191728.AA29778@vail.tivoli.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 19 Jan 94 09:33:55 PST

Raw message

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 94 09:33:55 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: an idle little thought

I was just sitting here thinking about DES software, when it occurred
to me that (say, in the case of UNIX crypt) a lot of the keyspace is
typically lost because the first 32 ASCII characters are "unfriendly".
Has anyone thought of (or maybe implemented) some sort of DES-type
symmetric cypher (one that uses typed ASCII passwords) and explicitly
allowed, say, 16 byte passwords?  Seems like you could take pairs of
characters and do some shifting and XORing to get better utilization
of the keyspace.

Just a minor little idea.  (I'm waiting on a big "make"... :-)

--
| GOOD TIME FOR MOVIE - GOING ||| Mike McNally <m5@tivoli.com>       |
| TAKE TWA TO CAIRO.          ||| Tivoli Systems, Austin, TX:        |

Thread