1994-01-23 - Mailbombing

Header Data

From: jburrell@ephsa.sat.tx.us (Jason Burrell)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c2681bdb3fb60ee0b34bd5a46ccef2deb12298973b66e8f08e12bc359cbe9b99
Message ID: <1qNmgc7w165w@ephsa.sat.tx.us>
Raw Date: Sun, 23 Jan 94 15:36:33 PST

Raw message

From: jburrell@ephsa.sat.tx.us (Jason Burrell)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 94 15:36:33 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Mailbombing

CS> 50 messages a day.  I accidentally deleted some of my real mail
CS> going through and deleting all yours.  As I have said many,  many
CS> times, I thought I was subscribing to a periodic newsletter.
CS> There was no warning that I would receive 50 messages a day, and
CS> apparently no mechanism for gettin of the list once I was on.  I
CS> simply made ever more vehement requests to be removed from your
CS> list.  As each one was ignored, I stepped up the volume of my
CS> requests.  After about 10 days of no response (short of some
CS> foul-languaged vicious flames from your readers furious because I
CS> bounced one or two of their letters - but they couldn't
CS> understand why I was  unhappy about receiving 50 unwanted letters
CS> a day).  What you call a 'mailbomb' was the only action out of
CS> everything I tried which actually got some response.  Let's stay
CS> clear on this:  all I ever wanted, and all I want now, is TO BE
CS> REMOVED FROM THIS LIST.  I am still receiving

How did you subscribe in the first place? Cypherpunks-request@toad.com?
Wouldn't it make sense to mail that to get off? (Not saying that you DID
use the request address)

I don't blame the cypherpunk 'owner' NOT removing you. You post publicly
to a list asking to be removed. You're not. So you mailbomb the
list-owner? The fact that you weren't removed from the list (not going
through the 'proper' channel) isn't an excuse to mailbomb the list.

Let me get this straight. In all the replies you received to your public
removal requests, not ONE said where to send the request?

Thread