1994-01-17 - Re: message (fwd)

Header Data

From: consensus@netcom.com (Christopher Allen)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d28822637649a248621b4b61752695efc025f0808cf6ce08844441821dc07fa8
Message ID: <199401171932.LAA10772@mail.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 17 Jan 94 11:33:30 PST

Raw message

From: consensus@netcom.com (Christopher Allen)
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 94 11:33:30 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: message (fwd)

>INTRODUCING
>
>===
>
>    #####       ####       ##  ##      ####       #####      ##  ##
>   ###         ##  ##      ##  ##       ##       ###         ##  ##
>    ####       ##  ##      ##  ##       ##        ####       ######
>      ###      ##  ##      ##  ##       ##          ###      ##  ##
>   #####        ###\\       ####       ####      #####       ##  ##

FYI: This email and some related followup emails were sent to a number of
low low-volume lists lists that I belong to. Somone is now apparently
engaged in harassing a wide variety of Internet mailing lists completely
unrelated with cryptography.

In particular the Squish email was posted to were
CREA-CPS@HEARN.nic.SURFnet.nl (CREA-CPS Creativity and Creative Problem
Solving) and Annotated Lists of ThingS (ann-lots@vm1.nodak.edu). As a
member of those lists I don't believe that the person sending the mail was
a member. I have also recently seen complaints from a number of other list
owners and users.

I suspect that the Squish email may have been sent to every list out in
world publically on the List of Lists, and those with remailers that allow
non-members to post let the mail item through to their members.

Please note that the request in that email...

>  Address further questions to cypherpunks@toad.com, gnu@toad.com,
>  tcmay@netcom.com, or hughes@ah.com.

...is spurious, as I believe the members of the cypherpunks list and the
people listed above are targets of a clever net flamer.

As I do subscribe to quite a number of lists, and as an active internet
user I thought as a courtesy that I should let you know that that this
message did not truely originate on cypherpunks nor the from the people
listed as owners of cyperpunks.

I suggest that you ignore the Squish email, and if your remailer allows
non-members to post to your list that you should turn that feature off to
prevent further re-occurences of messages of this sort.

..Christopher Allen
..Consensus Develoment Corporation
..4104-24th Street #419
..San Francisco, CA 94114-3615
..(415) 647-6384 Fax
..(415) 647-6383 Voice
..email: consensus@netcom.com
..mosaic frontpage:
.."ftp://netcom.com/pub/consensus/www/ConsensusFrontDoor.html"

Thread