1994-01-26 - Re: The Packwood Memorial Diary Server

Header Data

From: jdwilson@gold.chem.hawaii.edu (Jim Wilson (VA))
To: Jim_Miller@bilbo.suite.com
Message Hash: de6e83df8aac4597e22fce738c2ba42fdca8aea97cbcf76460b7f8a69121c2cb
Message ID: <9401260708.AA27790@gold.chem.hawaii.edu>
Reply To: <9401252317.AA02935@bilbo.suite.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-01-26 07:26:46 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 23:26:46 PST

Raw message

From: jdwilson@gold.chem.hawaii.edu (Jim Wilson (VA))
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 23:26:46 PST
To: Jim_Miller@bilbo.suite.com
Subject: Re: The Packwood Memorial Diary Server

Jim Miller said:

> I often see threads debating whether the courts have the right to compel
> you to reveal your encryption key.  Some say yes, some say no.
>
> Under the assumption that courts *do* have the right (or power) to force
> you to reveal your key, the problem now becomes:
>
> How can you prevent the government from proving you have encrypted
> documents?
>
> One Answer: Don't keep encrypted documents in your possession.
>

> Somebody could create a Document Server to store encrypted documents.
> Users would somehow get an anonymous Document Server account number when
> they subscribe to the service.  Users would use the remailer system to
> send encrypted documents to the Document Server.  The account numbers
> would be used to organize the document database and for billing (the
> tricky part).
>

> Given a Document Server, the problem now becomes:  How can you prevent the
> government from proving you use a Document Server.  This seems like a
> strictly technical problem, unlike the "can they compel you to reveal your
> key" problem.
>

> Jim_Miller@suite.com

I'd donate a used 40MB or so drive for a purpose such as this.  You could then
allocate 30MB to the account, and use the other 10MB as the fee for a year or
whatever.  It should be workable.  And anonymous.

Thread