1994-01-02 - radiation experiments and trusting the government

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e07fafd5908153c96937c5242c5e35c5747fa76f94c87349ba7cc36208adea9e
Message ID: <199401020221.VAA29971@snark>
Raw Date: Sat, 1 Jan 94 18:23:50 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 94 18:23:50 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: radiation experiments and trusting the government

I find the recent disclosures concerning U.S. Government testing of
the effects of radiation on unknowing human subjects to be yet more
evidence that you simply cannot trust the government with your own
personal safety. Some people, given positions of power, will naturally
abuse those positions, often even if such abuse could cause severe
injury or death. I see little reason, therefore, to simply "trust" the
U.S. government -- and given that the U.S. government is about as good
as they get, its obvious that NO government deserves the blind trust
of its citizens. "Trust us, we will protect you" rings quite hollow in
the face of historical evidence. Citizens must protect and preserve
their own privacy -- the government and its centralized cryptographic
schemes emphatically cannot be trusted.

Perry

Thread