1994-02-01 - Re: archiving on inet

Header Data

From: Kirk Sheppard <kshep@netcom.com>
To: Lefty <lefty@apple.com>
Message Hash: 009916bfa16c3ada25cba0f1a5214ec2622889328f9b79c73d0d91581016cfd0
Message ID: <Pine.3.85.9402011445.A27297-0100000@netcom9>
Reply To: <9402011838.AA12820@federal-excess.apple.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-02-01 19:35:36 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 11:35:36 PST

Raw message

From: Kirk Sheppard <kshep@netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 11:35:36 PST
To: Lefty <lefty@apple.com>
Subject: Re: archiving on inet

This book analogy is not accurate. It is my contention that usenet
postings are not copyrighted. Our postings are not disseminated like a
book, we are paid nothing for the use of our postings on the multitude
of machines that our postings appear. Or, in the alternative, if
copyrighted, by posting them in the electronic ether, we give up most of
our rights regarding dissemination, copying etc. Perhaps we may still
have some residual rights regarding accuracy and the like. Also the
posting regarding the legal blurbs on software, really was off point,
since what they they were refering to was a "license", and again there is
some doubt about how enforceable the individual licenses that the
software companies give. That is, some of these licenses may have
provisions that are not enforceable.

Kirk Sheppard

kshep@netcom.com

P. O. Box 30911             "It is  Better to Die on Your Feet Than to
Bethesda, MD 20824-0911      Live On Your Knees."
U.S.A.
			    			     - Emiliano Zapata

On Tue, 1 Feb 1994, Lefty wrote:

> Kirk Sheppard asks
> >
> >Finally what is the tangible difference between storing usenet postings
> >on a hard disk for an indefinite time, or on a cd-rom, or a cd that is
> >re-writable, or tape or any other storage device? Not very much I would
> >argue.
>
> I don't believe that _storage_ is the issue at all.  If I purchase a copy
> of a book, I don't believe that I'm violating copyright by making an
> archival copy of it _for_ _my_ _own_ _use_.
>
> If I start distributing or selling copies to other people, however, that's
> a different matter.
>
> --
> Lefty (lefty@apple.com)

Thread